Pages

Sunday, March 7, 2010

...And Again

They say that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results. Guilty as charged.

I figured Friday wasn't enough abuse so I took off on another ride Saturday into the wind and up the hills. Turns out, I'm not quite back in shape for this kind of thing yet. I wound up 48 miles into it and about 10 miles from home when I pretty much ran out of steam. Same old same old, windy, cold, snowdrifts etc. I still had three stiff hills to pull before I got into the home stretch and the old legs just flat surrendered. My wife called and wondered where I'd gotten off to and allowed as how it was going to be full dark by the time I got home at the rate I was going. A suggestion that she maybe come and rescue me was reluctantly accepted as I was off the bike and walking up the steep pitches by now and the temperature was falling pretty fast. That's the first time I've ever had to walk the 1400 anywhere but reality is the better part of valor sometimes.

On the positive side...I did manage to get in 94 miles in two days which ain't too bad for so early in the season and the screaming leg cramps only woke me up once in the night. I thought the muscle on the inside of my left thigh was going to reach up and strangle me for putting it through so much on such short notice. Oh well...it's back to work at 6 am so I'll have some time to recover while I hold down the seat all day. Supposed to be in the 40's by afternoon but I kinda doubt I'll be pedaling anywhere even if I do get an early quit. There's insanity and then there's just stupid. I'll only cross one line at a time.

No comments: