Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Catch Up And All

First off, as I mentioned in the last post...I've got a bunch of ground to cover so this one may take all day to get written.
For the record, it's now 6:30 am and I'm on my second cup of coffee while the countdown runs out on getting everybody else up and moving for the morning rush. We'll see what time it is when I finally post the whole thing. Maybe this'll be a multiple-entry-day...little chunks of random noise all day long popping up on the 'Home'. We'll see how it develops.

Where to begin...oh yeah...Last Friday I lucked out and managed to make it home from a trip with some daylight left. It just so happened that Chris had acquired tickets to the local high school play and an early arrival meant that I could actually make it to an event for a change. Truthfully, I was pretty whipped from the long haul home and not expecting too much out of a local go at 'Beauty and the Beast' but it sounded like fun just to go and see what the kids had been up to. A quick change of clothes and out the door with my brood to a standing-room-only show. Turns out, it was fantastic. They put on a great performance and really impressed this old guy. The production was almost professional quality and the lead singers were very, very good. You kind of go to a school play expecting cardboard props and a lot of mistakes...not so with this bunch. The music, lighting, choreography, timing, and most of all, the singing was top notch. Yep, there was a few slips along the way but they recovered on the fly and on their feet without missing a second and kept right on going. That's the mark of much rehearsing and a ton of hard work even for pros. I, for one was pretty proud of the hometown kids and the effort they put into this. The standing ovation they received at the curtain call was very well deserved.

More to follow...

10:30 am
Chewing away on phone calls and stuff around the house. But back to catching up for a couple minutes...
The kids and I went to a pancake breakfast and maple fest. last Saturday at the Arnot Forest down the road a ways. It was pretty tough to drag the older one out of the house and away from anything electronic but in the end they both went and (I think/hope) had a pretty good time. My buddy from way back when was manning the grill and churning out pancakes like a machine while abusing his subordinates so it was fun to run into him again. It was actually a warm day and seemed good to get out into it with the boys. It feels like we've been hibernating all winter but it's time to venture back into the world a bit and maybe break out of Old Drafty for a breath of fresh air.
Speaking of fresh air...I also dragged the Harley out of it's privileged parking spot in the breakfast nook and down a plank out the back door. A quick check on the fluids, hit the button...and as the old scoot has done for all these years, it fired right up without so much as a boost. The normal puddle of oil blew out from the sump but the old girl settled right down and warmed up just like it did when I parked it. Down to the gas station and put some air in the tires and off for a short ride to charge up the battery and blow out the cobwebs. That bike always amazes me. It's rusty, rattles, leaks and spits but it most always runs and with over 100,000 on the clock, I'd say it's doing pretty good. Anybody who says Hogs don't last very long hasn't seen mine yet. Bring your 160 mph rocket bike over when it's got 105K on it and we'll talk.
I keep saying that I'm going to fix up all the odds and ends that have accumulated someday but there never seems to be enough money or time to really do it up right and the thing just keeps running anyway. Someday...

Back to work and type more later...

4:30 pm

....Or not. Running out of time and patience. Gotta finish up projects and get myself together for the trip tonight. Never home long enough or awake in one stretch to finish anything. The life I lead....

No comments: