Pages

Thursday, September 7, 2017

Days Away

I've been on vacation. 

For the last seven years, my habit has been to take couple of weeks off in August and this one was no exception. The difference this time around...there was no FLX Tour de Cure to fill up the first week. You can find that story here if you haven't read it. It's pretty strange.

My vacation was already assigned for '17 though and I couldn't really think of a reason to change it so I left it alone. I wondered what I'd do with myself if I wasn't painting arrows on a hundred miles of road and juggling a bike team. When the Tour shut down, I was pretty lost.

In the months that followed the cancellation, most of the people from the team sort of drifted away. There was a couple of less-than-pleasant Facebook exchanges so I closed the team page and called it a day. I lost track of pretty much everyone. I rode in the Saratoga NY Tour in June but it wasn't the same. It was corporate, shiny, slick and impersonal. It was a lot of good things to be sure, but there was no 'Train team tent with pink flamingos, sunflowers and conga lines in the parking lot. Nobody was laughing. I felt like a stranger to it all so I put on my best public smile and just drove away.

On the other hand, life being what life is...I found some sunshine to chase away The Black that was hanging around just off my wheel. After a couple of false starts, I met someone. But first; a little backstory...

I haven't said much about it but the main reason the Home hasn't been home much of late is that my thirty-year marriage dissolved in what the lawyers call "irreconcilable differences". Who saw that one coming? It's been many years getting to this and I won't go into the details here or now but suffice it to say, it's not been easy for a really long time. 

We all have our demons and mine were persistent bastards who found an open door through the proceedings and tried every trick in the book to destroy me. It's been a battle I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Along the way somewhere, I found that I had to wander back out into the world. Unless I wanted to live completely alone until the clock stopped for good, I had to leave Home once again. How do you do that when you've never even considered it? Counseling helped. My sister helped more. I can tell you that it ain't easy and as of this writing it still isn't over.

But my ADHD self is wandering around looking at squirrels again...

As I started to say, I met someone...on roller skates no less...who loves to ride bikes besides...and in a round-about way from that meeting, I relearned a few things:

I found out all over again that riding bikes can be a ball even when you don't do 'epic' mileage every time. Sometimes just getting on the hybrid in shorts and a t-shirt and cruising to an ice cream stand with someone who smiles at you every time you look at her is what bicycling should be. Yes, I rode some real miles in the years I was falling apart but a lot of them were angry miles. Miles that were to forget...not remember. And they were mostly alone. Don't get me wrong, I loved riding and a 200 mile day is still on my bucket list but it isn't as pressing as it was. I'm riding just to ride again like it was when I first jumped back on the pedals all those years ago. No kit, no funny shoes, no weird shorts...just a simple bike and some simple fun. My road bike misses me but we're still friends. We'll spend more time together again for sure but for now...it's almost back to the beginning.

I also remembered how much fun roller skating really is. I skated more than I care to think about in my younger years. It seemed like if I wasn't working, I was on eight wheels. Most of my 20's found me at a rink somewhere jamming around in some form of hideous polyester under a cloud of big hair. I'm very happy there are only a few photos.

But leap ahead about thirty years and I find my old Douglas-Snyders still in pretty good shape...just as heavy as ever but still at home on my feet. I dusted them off, polished the boots and went back out on the floor. It seems that some things never change. 

During one session, I worked up my courage and asked that above-mentioned someone to skate with me. Got turned down flat because I was sweaty and kinda weird. But it didn't matter. We ended up skating together anyway...even though I'm usually still soaked like a sponge. The easy delight of skating along with someone to a slow song is what she calls "a happy place" and I know exactly what she means. 

It was all part of something that got lost along the way. Something that somehow became sad. It got misplaced somehow with so many other little joys that eventually drained the life out of everything I did. But I think I've found it again and it seems that it never changed. Only I did.

And yes, I found out that something as simple as holding hands is still as wonderful as ever. Just plain wonderful.

In the dark times, I used to watch people walking and holding hands. My soul ached for that tiny, fleeting touch that meant so much. That one easiest of things that I no longer had. I found that I missed it more than almost anything. Something so small. I think it was one of the first things we lost when everything fell apart. Maybe that's why I missed it so.

Something so small...so easy. And so wonderful. It just makes me smile.

But now the vacation is over and it's back to work. There's memories that make me happy. And I've got time to think about what to do for next year. I think I'll keep the August time off just as a tradition but who knows...vacations are supposed to be about adventures so you never know.

 Hey, at least I can think about next year...that's sort of a vacation in itself.

Stay tuned...

2 comments:

tpc said...

I pretty much figured that was what was going on. I left off digging into it because, for the same reason I am not all that welcome at funerals, I have an incredible knack for gigantically inappropriate remarks. Not out of malice, I just honest to god see things in a way that those in the throes of deep trouble and grief don't wanna hear about.

Once I realized that nothing that happens to us will, sooner or later, be a thing we can laugh about, I decided to start laughing about those things as soon as possible.

I am so happy for you, Harold, (hold on, I'm trying to supress a giggle) no, seriously, what a wondrous miracle (ok I'm giggling now) were able to rebuild your life (giggling audible) based on a re-discovered talent at roller skating. (tears on the keyboard and can't swallow my beer. But I promise not to laugh)

See what I mean? Just inappropriate as all get out. Do they still play disco at roller(hahahahahahahahah) sorry, man. I'm gonna shut up now.

Welcome to the other side. Ought here we are stoned immaculate.

Meanwhile, Christie across the way is on her porch, screaming into her phone at her boyfriend on the third day of their post-storm breakup. Oh crap...here she comes. Fucking redheads...

Gotta go! Skate on, brother!

tj

ps: can i borrow one of your abba records? Dancin' Queen, young and clean...I never understood. Clean how? Do I even wanna know? Only seventeen...they used to play that at noon every sunday at the free keg wet t-shirt party at the Button Lounge in Ft Lauderdale. 1974.

Wayward Son said...

HA! My 45s are staying right where they are. I always hated Abba though so maybe I'd let you borrow at least that one. You can lip-synch it for the redhead and drown out the screaming next door!

Besides, I may just need the old vinyl for a second or third childhood that I'm planning right after my fourth mid-life crisis so I can't loan out too much. I'm not old...I'm vintage now.

It might be time. You know you're in trouble when you hear your favorite song as background music in the emergency room waiting area. Just sayin'...

Good to hear from you you sarcastic bastard!

Blog on.

Wayward