Pages

Friday, October 30, 2009

In The Midnight Hour

Once again it seems like the time at home has flown by. I'm only here for a while then it's off and running for another round trip. That's the real downside to what I do...the time away from home and family. I'll never understand the logic of not having real days off...just time between calls. It's really tough to not know when I'll be home or gone more than a day or two in advance.
I've missed so many things over the years either actually working or just being available that I often wonder if it's worth it. The income is good but the time spent to get it feels like selling your soul. There's been a million nights when I felt like I'd spent most of my life in that right-hand seat of a locomotive. It's the only thing I've ever done in my whole life that resembled a profession or offered anything like a chance to retire someday but the price has been pretty stiff.

The old saw that railroading isn't a job, it's a lifestyle has some truth to it. At the end of the day though, it's even more than that...it'll eat you alive if you let it.

No comments: