Pages

Monday, August 31, 2026

Sunday By Way Of Monday

Sunday (that ran into Monday) thoughts:

I've been thinking big thoughts on long roads, quiet mornings and lawn mowers. It used to be locomotive seats but now I'm an aging retiree with more time to click the keys and get it down before it gets lost in the shuffle. I'm waxing philosophical is suppose but I've heard old men are allowed to do that.
So I wonder sometimes who I wound up being after all these years. Who or what would I rather be? What should I be? Or not be? I've spent a lot of run-time under my receding hairline on it. It's good exercise for more than my quads and calves.
It occurs to me that perhaps it's too easy for people like us to think of the world as filled with who and what we aren't instead of who we are.
What if Instead of thinking 'I'm not' something, what would happen if more believed in 'I'm' this?
In a good way. Without being angry at someone. Without worrying about the cost. If it's worth a try, I'll go first:
I'm equality. I'm compassion. I'm empathy. I'm inclusion. I'm women's rights. I'm Muslim. I'm an immigrant. I'm LGBTQ+. I'm ANTIFA. I'm BLM. I'm First Americans. I'm an asylum seeker. I'm my neighbors. I'm Trans. I'm SNAP. I'm addiction. I'm a single parent. I'm jobless. I'm homeless. I'm hungry. I'm disabled. I'm alone.
I'm vaccinated. I'm mental health. I'm universal healthcare. I'm safe food. I'm science.
I'm a living wage. I'm fair taxes. I'm mail-in voting. I'm prison reform. I'm public education. I'm school lunches. I'm all of The Constitution. I'm accountability.
I'm an American.
I'm a million small things that make "E pluribus unum". I'm disagreement. I'm argument. I'm debate. I'm a roaring opinion. I'm imperfection. I'm always trying again. I'm wanting better ahead. I'm remembering the past. I'm not leaving.
“I think, therefore I am” said Descartes. I would paraphrase it a little...'I am' is therefore what makes us think.

No comments: