Please tell me a story, too
You know, I think I'll tell you the story of my life
You tell me!
I wanna hear, too!
I was born in Anamoose, North Dakota a long time ago, see
And now, I'm lucky enough to be here with you
Yeah, but what else happens in between?
Yeah, what else happened?
Well, it went pretty much like this..."
'Life Story', The Hellers
Anyone who ever heard "The Adventures of Grandmaster Flash on the Wheels of Steel" in the wayback knows those sample lines. A soft voiced man telling a story to two little kids followed by one of the most epic breaks ever recorded. It still works for me. Copy/paste if you wanna hear it again. It's at about 3:30 but you know you want to listen to the whole thing:
https://youtu.be/JArJLBBEDVk?si=nOdQSPPk5fiUTuEJ
I always pictured Mr. Rogers saying it on a children's show but a little search found the sample in the 1968 record mentioned above. Trust me, it has nowhere near the punch in the original as Flash gave it in the mix. How he stumbled onto that particular psychedelic old song I'll never know.
But it leads me to think of how old can be new over and over again. I know that's not very original but it does have relevance anyway. It pays to take a glance in the rear view occasionally and see what might be sneaking up on you.
I've never been one to live back there too much but memories are part of what makes us...well, us. It's like Florida. Fun to visit perhaps but once the shine wears off, it's just life.
So why don't I tell you a story?
I think I'll tell you the story of my life.
I think I'll tell you the story of my life.
It'll be bits and pieces. It'll be odd. But I've got time. For a while yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment