I went to visit an old friend yesterday.
Kellie and I made a jaunt to Canandaigua, NY for an event I used to go to with my Dad, "The Steam Show".
It was something he always liked. Lines and lines of antique tractors, stationary engines, steamers, you name it. He's poke at this one or that one and chat with guys in pinstripe coveralls for hours.
Dad had it stored in a shed he built in the back yard and on occasion he'd fire it up and chuff around the yard. He was never able to get the water injectors to work right so it was a brief run at low pressure as he had to pull the fire when the water started getting low. It was pretty special though.
Over the years, runs got less frequent as he was pretty nervous about the state of the boiler which hadn't seen much maintenance or an inspection since probably the '20s. He ran it on compressed air a couple times I think but mostly it sat for longer and longer periods.
He asked me once upon a time if I wanted him to leave it to me when he passed away. It was sore tempting but reality reared it's ugly head and I knew I'd never be able to take care of it, much less restore it. I didn't have anyplace to keep it under cover and couldn't afford to build one. I don't think I could have scrounged up the money to even move it at the time.
So Dad wound up leaving it to the Pageant. It made a lowboy trip to Canandaigua and there it stays, not so far from Newark where it worked it's last. She's 111 years old now and hasn't seen a fire in a lot of years. They keep it under cover as Dad did but tow it out to display for the show each year. They started to paint it but the guy doing it is gone so it'll have to wait.
I found one of the guys from the New York Steam Engine Association while we were wandering around the grounds and had a long chat. I told him my Dad had donated the engine and he lit up about "The Port Huron". He said it was one of his favorites and grabbed another guy walking by with, "Hey, this is the son of the guy that donated 'The Port Huron'.""The Port Huron". It was "The Port Huron" every time.
He said it's on a long list of engines to get a new boiler someday but that it costs over $100,000 by the time it's all done and that doesn't restore all of the rest. But it's going to get done and someday, 'The Port Huron' will whistle and sizzle again.
We took a few pictures of her and history whispered in my ear again as it often does. I found Dad's little oilcan in the same tin holder in front of the engineer where it was handy. I wondered when he last filled it.
No comments:
Post a Comment