It's from 1972 and starred Bruce Dern as a biologist/astronaut in charge of one of the last remaining forests from a sterilized Earth. Whole ecosystems are stored in huge domes on cargo ships orbiting near Saturn against the day humans might want them back.
Spoiler...they don't.
I almost think I remember seeing it in a theatre ages ago although at the time, I can't imagine who would have taken me since in '72 I wasn't driving yet.
I always liked it. Not sure why but it meant something. It's sad but makes a simple point. And even after 54 years, it's still relevant. I think that makes it a good movie.
I've also long been hooked on Joan Baez's song from it, 'Rejoice In The Sun' written by Peter Schickele and Diane Lampert.
It's a haunting thing that still gives me goosebumps sometimes.
In the sun
Like a forest is your child, growing wild
In the sun
Doomed in his innocence
In the sun
Gather your children to your side
In the sun
Tell them all they love will die
Tell them why
In the Sun
Tell them it's not too late
Cultivate, one by one
Tell them to harvest and rejoice
In the sun"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkF05D-NJMU...
I guess I'm just hopelessly sentimental. I don't know that that's a bad thing either.
It's maybe a little strange that one of my favorite songs from the Wayback is by 'Mike + The Mechanics' and also titled 'Silent Running (On Dangerous Ground)' written by Ba Robertson/Michael Rutherford.
It's another kind of spacey sort of thing that appeals to me both in sound and lyrics. Why? Who knows. It just does and there's always that sentimental streak again.
There's a gun and ammunition
Just inside the doorway
Use it only in emergency
Better you should pray to God
The Father and the Spirit
Will guide you and protect from up here
Swear allegiance to the flag
Whatever flag they offer
Never hint at what you really feel
Teach the children quietly
For some day sons and daughters
"Take the children and yourself
And hide out in the cellar
By now the fighting will be close at hand
Don't believe the church and state
And everything they tell you
Believe in me, I'm with the high command
And hide out in the cellar
By now the fighting will be close at hand
Don't believe the church and state
And everything they tell you
Believe in me, I'm with the high command
(Chorus)
Can you hear me, can you hear me running?
Can you hear me running, can you hear me calling you?
Can you hear me, can you hear me running?
Can you hear me running, can you hear me calling you?
Can you hear me running, can you hear me calling you?
Can you hear me, can you hear me running?
Can you hear me running, can you hear me calling you?
There's a gun and ammunition
Just inside the doorway
Use it only in emergency
Better you should pray to God
The Father and the Spirit
Will guide you and protect from up here
(Chorus)
Swear allegiance to the flag
Whatever flag they offer
Never hint at what you really feel
Teach the children quietly
For some day sons and daughters
Will rise up and fight while we stood still
(Chorus) X 2
(Can you hear me running) hear me running babe?
(Can you hear me running) hear me running?
Calling you, calling you"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i17mgRK3GX8
Running silent but at least not on empty.
(Can you hear me running) hear me running babe?
(Can you hear me running) hear me running?
Calling you, calling you"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i17mgRK3GX8
Running silent but at least not on empty.
No comments:
Post a Comment